Saturday, October 18, 2008

Always Faithful


I just 'happened' to receive this photo in a grouping of "animal" photos from my mom a couple of weeks ago. I loved it so much that I did some research on the monument. It's located in Guam along with the War Dog Cemetery from WWII which commemorates the service and dedication of some amazing animals. It would be so wonderful to be able to visit in person, but I'm not sure how that would ever happen. I did, however, locate the artist Susan Bahary. After a visit with her on the phone, I've decided to purchase one of her limited edition replicas which will be about 11"x12" and will sit atop my desk in a place of honor. http://www.vet.utk.edu/wardog/biography.shtml Here is a link to read about the War Dog Memorial. After much discussion with my husband, we have decided that ultimately we will donate our piece to the Humane Society in our community to use as they see fit.

2 comments:

Ginny said...

This photo touches my heart as it should all Americans.

Anonymous said...

Tammy, check out this site also
http://www.supportmilitaryworkingdogs.org/
They are collecting supplies and or donations to provide desert gear for the dogs working with the GI's in Iraq. I was very touched that a SGT associated with the group responded to my blog post about when I posted this link there.
God Bless our Soldiers, both 2 and 4 legged!