Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Proud to be an American

Today, among many other days, I'm especially proud of my native country and all she stands for.

I have always had an inherent patriotism, as do most Americans. Mine however, was made infinitely stronger when as as young married couple Bob and I had the priviledge of living overseas among our military. Every day, everything these brave men and women did, and still do, was for our country, it's people and it's democratic values. Each event attended on base, even something as simple as a movie, was preambled by The National Anthem. It's incredibly inspiring to see, in person, all of those standing in uniform with hats off, hands over hearts, listen and watch the flag furl. To this day, over 20 years later, I think of that time in my life and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice each time I see the flag and hear those words.

It is election day. A historic one at that. No matter which party wins, this will be a first. Either the first African American or the first female will inhabit the White House. I don't pretend to understand political views which differ from my own, as much as I try. I do believe that when The People speak as one, what is best for this land that I love will ultimately prevail.

No comments: